What is the existing experience? From different stakeholder P.O.V.?
Experience from a customer's view
- Customers walk in, are greeted and are given a seat
- They are given a menu
- Customers read the menu and decide on what to order
- Waiter/waitress comes and asks the customers if they are ready to order
- Customers order what they want, then wait for some time until their food is served
Experience from a waiter/waitress view
- Greet customers, give menus to customers, find them a table that is not taken
- Take orders from customers
- Give orders to the chefs
- Serve food to customers
- Pick up dirty dishes/clean tables
- Fulfil the requests of customers at any time
What external/internal factors impact on the experience?
- How many customers there are on a given day
- How many waiters/waitresses are working on a given day
What aspects of the existing experience could be enhanced/augmented/supported with technology?An aspect that could be changed is the way that customers order their food. Instead of reading through the paper menu, customers can browse through a digital menu and then submit their order when they are ready. The order is sent to the chefs which they can see on a screen back in the kitchen.
How would introducing technology in to this context change the experience?
- Customers can take their time to browse the menu and submit their order when ready.
- It makes it easier for customers to customise their order. They can change the items and quantities, specify any special requirements, etc any time BEFORE they submit it.
- There's less hassle for waiters because it saves them going around everywhere to take customers' orders.
- Orders are sent immediately to the kitchen.
- Order can be tracked - e.g. how much time is remaining until food is served. This is a good thing for customers to know about.